Friday, November 17, 2017

Salad Toppers

This week, I decided to mix things up a little.  Instead of making a full-blown molded jell-o salad, I made some tangy Knox blocks to spice up my boring greens.

In case you didn't know - I am a big fan of salad toppers. Huuuuge fan. My all-time favorite was Jean's Butterfly Salad Toppers from the 1972 Weight Watchers Program Cookbook. Go check them out!

I truly believe no salad should be boring. Ever. In fact, I have a tattoo on my bicep that says "No Boring Salads, Ever!!"

Just kidding, I would never do that! I'm not that wacky.

Anyway, Barbecue Knox blocks are a great way to add some flair to your sad, boring salad. These little cuties are courtesy of "The Joys of Jell-O" cookbook, and they are as easy as pie! Just dissolve your Knox in some tomato sauce and add some onion juice, Worcestershire sauce and a pinch of tabasco. Pour into a square pan and cut into cubes when solid.

Seriously...Look how cute they are!!!


So shiny too!!



But how do they taste??



THE VERDICT: They taste EXACTLY how you would expect them to taste. Like cold, gelatinous tomato soup on top of a salad. They also add a very disturbing and unexpected texture to the salad. Like the opposite of a crouton. But overall, I have eaten worse things - so I guess they were not too bad.

What is YOUR favorite way to top a salad?? Do tell....

1 comment:

  1. You are right, I have seen you make far worse than these! lol

    ReplyDelete