Wednesday, October 25, 2017

My Madrilene Has Issues

Three cheers for Google! 

According to my research, the term "Madrilene" refers to any consommé flavored with tomato, frequently jelled and served cold. 

Yum?

This week's salad adventure is from the Weight Watchers Recipe Card Collection (1974) The Madrilene Cheese Salad is a multi-layered jello mold which is a bit tricky because the middle layer is not jello at all - its just a big slab of cottage cheese that you run through the blender with some seasoning. Needless to say, this salad has issues and is quite unstable.

The good news is that it serves 2 - so you can chow down half of this sucker even if you are watching your waistline.

Hooray?


Not My Best, Not My Worst Either

Zoom In

I had high hopes for this one. But I just couldn't keep it together. I can usually keep my jello molds pretty tight, but the layers kept slipping and I felt like at any moment it would just melt. To be honest, it was kind of a sloppy mess. I even added some cucumbers for structural support. And for decorative flair, too.

I opted for a smaller portion
THE VERDICT: It was pretty darn tasty...creamy and refreshing! In fact - the cottage cheese layer would work as a veggie dip for your next party. Just leave out the Madrilene...

No comments:

Post a Comment