Wednesday, October 4, 2017

The Agony of Defeat

I did some jello molding this week. And I'm not gonna lie - it wasn't pretty.

Just like any other artistic medium, sometimes your work turns out to be a cherished masterpiece and other times it turns out to be a total pile of garbage.

This week, I attempted 2 simple molded salads. They should have been a snap for a seasoned jello badass like me. But for some reason, the gelatine goddesses were not on my side.

My first mold attempt was the basic "Garden Patch Salad" from The Knox On-Camera Recipes cookbook... Or as I like to call it "The Bible of Gel Cookery".  Per the recipe instructions - I was told I could mix my vegetables with abandon here. Because they all contribute to the color and flavor of this jellied potpourri. Um... yeah.



Sadly - mine was less like jellied potpourri and more like jellied hot mess.

When good gelatine molds go bad...

Ew.

After that debacle, I decided to try a fun little Minted Pineapple salad from the "Joys of Jello" cookbook. For this one, you use the can from your pineapple tidbits as your mold. It contains lemon jello, canned pineapple and mint extract. Sounds adorable, right?

All went well on this one until I unmolded it, and half of the thing went droopy on me. Instead of popping out of the mold like a bouncy little spring, it just sort of fell onto the plate in a semi-gelled pile of yellow goo. It looked so pitiful, I wanted to hug it. But I didn't.



Where did it all go wrong? 


At least my dog, Oakley seems interested in it.

OK, so it is clear that I need to really sit down and analyze this gelling dilemma. Am I just rusty? Are my jello molds jinxed? Did the gelatine goddesses put a curse on me?

Stay tuned to find out...

3 comments:

  1. Kelly Ripa from Live mentioned a few days ago that she ate a jello molded something at a friend's house when she was a kid. She thought they were rich. You should contact her about your jello adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That's a great idea! Thanks for following along on my jello journey xo

      Delete
  2. I had so much hope for the pineapple thingy.

    ReplyDelete